Thursday, July 23, 2015

An Important Question Only You Can Answer

“Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using— according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.”
Colossians 2:20-23 (NKJV)

Paul first laid out how our salvation is possible (Colossians 2:11-15) and now has a warning for us as we seek to follow after Christ, while awaiting His return. To paraphrase and translate what Paul is asking into our modern culture- if you claim to follow Jesus Christ, even call yourself a Christian, then why do you choose to follow culture's rules, neglecting those given by Christ? Our present culture may seem as though the rules make sense and are for your good, but they have no power to help you grow into the image of Christ. The only power the rules and guidelines of this present culture have, is the power to distract you from submitting to God's sovereign authority.
Our modern culture's biggest and most effective lie is that it tries to convince us that we know what's best for us and our souls and that no one has the authority to question us or our choices. Now, this is where we must look honestly at ourselves and ask, why do I say God's love is good enough to save my soul, but not good enough to know what is best for my life? We were not rescued for our own sake, but for God's sake. To become His children; one of His chosen people. We cannot choose what parts of Jesus Christ we accept; it is all of Christ or Hell. 
In Christ, we are made free; free from the changing whims of culture and from the legalistic religious law that lies to us with its list of rules. 
By what Christ did on the cross, we have access to God-the Father, Creator of all things- by the power of the Holy Spirit and the invitation to boldly and blamelessly approach His throne.

Father, there is freedom in You. I acknowledge that I have not fully submitted myself to Your perfect authority and still struggle with trying to find a better way for myself, and for that I repent. I ask for the strength to fully rely on You and Your way for me, knowing that whatever You have for me is best. Thank You for loving me enough to correct me and bring me back when I stray.  I love You. In Jesus Christ's Name; Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment