Thursday, July 2, 2015

Paul's Task. My Task. Your Task.

24 "I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. 29 To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily." Colossians 1:24-29

Last week, we looked specifically at Verses 24-26. To recap, that sentence can be summed up like this-Paul proclaims that he finds joy in the bringing of the Good News to the Gentiles despite the suffering he endures.

Now to look at the rest of the passage; Here we go.

Some of the Jewish people were not pleased that the Gentiles were allowed in the following of Jesus. (see Acts 13:45, 50 & 14:19) Nevertheless, Paul being given the task of preaching to the Gentiles, presses onward, understanding that God intended for the Gentiles to be shown the mystery that had been once hidden from all of them.  That mystery being the truth that Jesus Christ is the Anointed Messiah, the One Who would die for the sins of all of God's people. And regardless of which people group they were born into, through the Holy Spirit, Jesus dwells in His people. He is our only Hope and Christ Jesus is Whom Paul preaches. Paul does not stop at merely preaching Christ, but goes on to teach the people as well.

Here is where I want to camp out; as Christians we are called to proclaim Christ, to tell people of their need of Jesus, the Savior. But that's not all, we are also called to show them how to follow Him. (Matthew 28:18-20). The NIV translation of Colossians 1:28 says, "teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ".  That is disciple making; working toward people's maturity in Christ. We cannot leave people solely with the knowledge they need Jesus; we are commanded to show them how to follow Him as well. Our job as Christians, just as Paul's was, does not stop but perhaps truly begins once people see their need for Christ as their Lord. This is the end Paul encourages the Colossians to work toward. This is the end I encourage you to work toward.  We are to show people how to follow Jesus Christ, because Christ shows us how to follow Him. James also urges us to work toward this end within ourselves, "Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:4 NIV), This should go without saying, but I don't think people say it enough-In order to be able to show people how to biblically follow Christ, we must first be following Christ biblically.

Father, thank You for leading me to Yourself! There is no other place I'd rather live my life.  I ask for strength, grounded in You and Your truth, so that I may walk uprightly, living my life according to Your law, not only for myself, but so I may relate You and Your greatness to those around me. Discipleship is not an easy task, but with You it is a possible one. As I follow You, may I call others to follow You along with me and other believers.  I look to You in all things. In the only name that truly matters, Jesus' name; Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Topher for your instruction and insight! Such good stuff and so speaking to me right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome. I'm so glad to hear this. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete